Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pighting!

Last Saturday I went to my first soccer match in Korea with Ana, Jared, Shay, and Haley (Matt and Ken chickened out because it was raining, boooo!). Anyways, it was waaaaay more than I had expected. I haven't been to many sports events before back in the States, but at least for me, soccer is not just about the match, but about what goes on in the crowd.

I've only been to soccer matches in San Diego; go figure, I've been to matches in the States, now in Korea, but never in Mexico :(. But to those that I have been, they were awesome! The crowd chants, waves flags, yells out curse words, drinks beer, does the "wave", and well, just about any other shenanigans that they can come up with. It's awesome. It's energetic. It's contagious. It's insaaaaaaaane!

So I wasn't sure what to expect. I wanted it to be everything I have just described above, but you never know what to expect in a foreign country.

By the way, Pohang has its very own team sponsored by POSCO, the Steelers! I heard they were league champions a couple years ago. They played against Ulsan.

When we got to the stadium, my eyes were immediately drawn to the merchandise stand hehehe. Guess what I got? Shay and I bought a good ol' vuvuzela, or as Shay calls them zoozoobellas. That's right, I got to annoy the shit out of the people around me.


When we went in, the stadium seemed pretty pumped even though it was raining lightly. Oh and since everybody gets a Steelers flag, they could be seen waving all around the stadium. Those flags are supposed to be returned at the end of the game...we played the foreigner card and kept them lol.

And guess what? They use the same color as Xolos! haha

We sat somewhat close to group of people who had giant flags and a drum. The drum is what got me excited because I knew that could only mean that we were going to hear some chanting! And boy we did! Those guys barely took breaks. They had chants that would go on forever!! The probably lost their voice by the end of the game. And it wasn't just them. Other sections would chant along together, again forever. Even the military section got in the action.

Trash talk towards Ulsan. "Good day to kick a cat!" ha!

Ana told me that one of the chants meant "love Pohang." So yeah, they chanted "love Pohang" over and over and over and over...and over and over. There was a cute chant where the girls would say something, and the boys would respond.

There was also the Steelers' mascot and cheerleaders running around pumping up the crowd. Don't ask me what the mascot it, we could not figure it out. There were actually two, one looked like a cute yellow alien, the other, no clue.


I was very surprised to find out that both teams had foreigners in them. I think they have Brazilian, Colombian, and Japanese because we saw flags for those countries.

During half time, they gave away a car! We had gotten raffle tickets at the entrance and we were feeling lucky...but nope, we didn't win. I wonder what they had done if a foreigner had won it?

All in all, it was a good match...even though we lost 0-1. I definitely look forward to going to more matches hehehehe.

BTW: Pighting is what Koreans yell to cheer their side...it's supposed to be "fighting", but they don't have the /f/ phoneme so all their /f/'s are /p/'s.

peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment