Thursday, July 19, 2012

Summer all the waay!


Oooooh so many things to talk about.
I've been all over the place lately and there's so much more coming...it's crazy!

I'll start with a cute story. Every year all schools compete in an English speaking contest where us foreigners write a short play and coach the students. I wrote a play about "don't judge a book by its cover" and it of course took place in the16th century (duh!).

We rehearsed for about 4 weeks, three times a week. The hardest part was getting the students to act. They memorized the script overnight, but they had no idea what they were saying.

So finally we competed against 31 elementary schools (yeah, that's ALL of the elementary schools here in Pohang).

Sad to say we didn't even rank top 10. But that's ok, I was a proud momma. The students didn't freeze or forget their lines, so I was happy.


We decided to finally go to Costco...and I drove! It was a one and a half hour drive to Daegu...first road trip! I have a Korean navi on my iPhone so we got there with no problem. We went on a Saturday and OMG it was crowded! Not even the Costco in Tijuana is ever that crowded. Our first stop was of course pizza!! Gosh how I missed Costco pizza...it was heaven.

We made our way through the two-story store in search of anything western. I was a bit disappointed because as a pescetarian, there wen't too many things for me. It's definitely heaven for those who eat meat because they have everything. But that's ok, I did not walk out empty handed. So what did I buy? Apple pie! Cookies! Feta cheese! Frozen strawberries! Oatmeal! Yeah yeah, it's mainly junk food, but who cares! we were happy to have decent junk food at least.

I had previously considered getting a Costco membership. But now seeing that I would not truly benefit from the products they have, I wont.

We found out about a place called Herb Hillz (eco-park) in Daegu where we could zipline so we immediately  made plans to go.

We only paid 19,000W (about $18) for the ziplining experience. We had to wait about an hour before our turn, so we went around taking pictures with all the little cute things they had.




When it was our turn, we got our gear and a 15minute lesson (in Korean -_- ) on safety how to use the gear. We understood mostly everything because he instructor made sure we were watching him closely haha.

The whole time we were going to be at least 30 feet from the ground because it wasn't just ziplining; it was a course of obstacles and little challenges. We chose the KingKong course because it said it was the longest (and we wanted to be up there as long as possible, it said it would take 40 mins), the Tarzan course takes less but it was the hardest and Ana and I did not want to do that one.

And off I went!!!


up in the trees hanging out
 I ended up with huge bruises on my arms, legs, and butt, but it was sooo worth it! I would totally go again.

After lunch we headed to the zorbs! We paid an extra 4,000W for 6 minutes of fun! We felt so silly because it's almost impossible to stand up, the harder you try, the harder you fall.

me in the zorb

ana

Since Jared hadn't been to Homigot and he's leaving soon, I decided we should drive down there and have a day at the beach. It was good to go back after probably nine months. There was something new, they had a little pier.

we bought matching hats in Busan a while ago...a mistake, but we needed to make use of them.

Ana told us about how Koreans think that Korea looks like a tiger, what do you think? Apparently other people think it looks like a rabbit. 

 Homigot is supposed to be on the tail of the tiger, see it?

nice view of Homigot

Jared made friends

 And of course I had to get a flat tire -_-...I drove to a nearby gas station and they didn't have an air pump! They told me to go towards the next town over. So I did very slowly. When we got there, the guy there took out this tiny manual air pump, so I put Jared to work. We made home safely ^_^.

And to finish things up, here are some more cool things for The List!

42. Etiquette bells?
What the bleep are these you ask? I asked myself the same question every time I saw one in the stalls...oh yeah, you see these at many public restrooms next to the toilets.


I had been tempted many times to push the little red button, but then I thought, "what if a Korean starts speaking through the speaker and I can't answer?"..."what if they think it's an emergency?"

So finally I asked my friend and what she said made me giggle. She said that sometimes people are shy to pee when there are other people in the bathroom. Solution? Push the little red button and a nice little song will start so that it covers the sound of you peeing.... -_- hahaha.

43. Korea doesn't do guy liner, they do guy makeup!
Yes ladies and gentleman you heard right, guy makeup. Now that it's summer I've noticed it more and more because it just melts off guys' faces.

I'm hoping Korean girls find this attractive because I know western girls for sure don't!

I guess they do this for the same reason that Korean women wear lighter makeup than their skin tone, they just want to have lighter skin. As I've said before, people here like lighter skin tones.
Just like having a slim figure, white skin is considered beautiful and even luxurious. This is why many Korean women wear makeup that is waaaaay lighter than their skin tone. But apparently now, it is a growing trend for men to also wear makeup.


The first time I saw this I didn't even know what to make of it, but the more I learned about it, the less socking it became. Overall, I just now find it fascinating how different cultures define beauty.

This article sums up pretty well why men wear makeup as well.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of this because I don't want to look like a stalker asking a random guy if I could take his picture or trying to take a picture in secret and get caught.


44. Fake plastic food
Many restaurants have their menu beautifully displayed in a glass case outside the restaurant. It's of course plastic, but it all looks yummy. Coffee shops do this too with their pastries. I think this is such a good idea because you can see exactly what food you'll get and how much you'll get.




At the OPEC museum they even have a little plastic-food display of what they had for dinner when all those important people met.

...I would've been a happy lil girl if I had that kind of plastic food to play with in my lil play-kitchen  hehehe.

45. European obsession

the most famous bakery in Korea, Paris baguette...where NO baguettes are to be found
Being a French major with a minor in Italian, I noticed right away all the French and Italian words around the city, as business names, brands, on billboards, and just about anything. It actually made me feel a bit comfortable because it relieved some stress from trying to understand all the Korean around the city.

But, I then realized that it was too much...a little too much.

Maybe it's really obvious because Korea is a small country? Or maybe the obsession has gotten out of control? I don't know, but whatever the reason, I love it!

The funniest thing is when Koreans pronounce these words, my favorite is a bakery called "Tous les jours" and it sounds like "tuh-ruh-juh-ruh".



26 days til I'm in sunny San Diego!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment