Tuesday, October 29, 2013

And then there was one...

Last time I talked about wedding cars, and a few weeks ago I went to my friend's wedding, Eunji, and guess what? They had a wedding car! I liked that they went with red and not pink since that's what I see the most.





















71. This takes me the next item on the list, Catholic weddings in Korea. Yes, I've written about weddings before, but that was the standard "wedding hall" wedding that feels as fake as my eye lashes on Halloween (I really don't mean to be rude, really, they just feel weird) . Anyways, I was raised Catholic, well Mexican Catholic, so it was surprising to see how 
different they are from Korean Catholic.


So what is different?

First of all, the mass was in Korean, so I was lost most of the time. I just followed people with the whole sit-down/stand up thing. 

A couple things that were not part of the wedding, which are huuuuuge in my culture, were the lasso and the arrhae (or unity coins). I didn't notice anything similar to symbolize the union either, I'm assuming it's because in the traditional Korean wedding there are lots of similar symbols, so they are not needed in the religious ceremony.


Eunji's traditional Korean wedding

This was also my first Korean Catholic mass, and one thing I noticed that was pretty interesting is that when we gave the sign of peace, instead of a handshake, it was a bow. Totally took me by surprise because I knew right away what the priest meant as people starting moving around, so as I turned to the person next to me, she bowed as I was about to extend my arm ...awkward! 


Another thing was that the priest busted out a song! He sang "My Way", which to be honest I (and other people) felt like it wasn't an appropriate song for a wedding in a church. Then also, two friends (?) of Eunji sang for the couple. I'm not sure whether this was just something for the couple or if it's normal to sing to a couple. I've never really witnessed this before (except here), it's actually a cool and sweet idea, I think. 


  video
video

There was also no "you may kiss your bride," which is not necessarily Catholic, but still.

One interesting thing is that Koreans are given Catholic names when they are baptized, so Eunji's is Micaela and SeungJin's is Gregorio. Throughout the ceremony, the priest would alternate between the names.

Lastly, obviously since Mexican Catholicism is mixed with Aztec beliefs, there was no Virgen de la Guadalupe which means there was no ramo (offering) for her.

Everything else was pretty much the same.

72. Kimchi fridges
This whole wedding business leads me into the next item. A tradition Koreans have here for weddings is the groom (or maybe groom's parents?) buy the home for the new couple while the bride's parents buy the furniture and appliances. And one important appliance most Koreans have in their home is a kimchi fridge!


This is what they usually look like, smaller than the standard ones. And yes, a home will have a normal one and a kimchi one.

What is a kimchi fridge you ask? Exactly what it sounds like: a fridge for your kimchi. So why is it needed? I honestly don't know. The only thing I can speculate is that kimchi is stinky, it will stink the crap out of a fridge so a separate one is needed ...lesson learned, trust me, I don't buy kimchi anymore haha. 

I actually do have another guess: Kimchi requires fermentation, so maybe the fridge has a special setting that helps? Anybody can shed a light on this?

73. Dog shoes. Winter is coming. Puppies need to keep warm, thus ...



I'm also assuming these are used to that the doggies don't get their lil paws dirty when they take walks. I'm sooooo buying some for Bambino!

74. Letterman jackets. When we think of letterman jackets, we think of high school sports. But here in Korea, high schoolers don't have that culture; however,  they have adopted using letterman jackets, not for sports in high school, but for university students to represent their department. 


Here are some examples from the university where I work. One is from my students from the French Department and the other is from one of my students from the English Department. 





a de los Muertos is just around the corner, and I am ready! ...Hope my visitors don't scare the crap out of my neighbors. I still need to find some cempazuchitl (orange marigold), I know, but I can't buy it anywhere! ...I'm going to have to steal it from somewhere like I did last year. Funny thing, I haven't seen it in any flower shop, but lots of places have them on their pots outside their businesses.










I didn't want to end this entry on a sad note, but there is one last thing I want to mention, I am officially the last member of Team Amurrica remaining. Ana has left Korea (for now I hope), and she's safely back in Florida with family and friends ...and fooooood!!!! If you've read my blog, you probably noticed that most of my adventures were with her, what am I going to do now with out my FlaCa?!? (Florida + California = FlaCa lol). Who's going to drag me out on a hike? Who's going to come up with the random traveling ideas? Who's going to go on Taco Adventures with me? :(


Peace ya'll!

PS. I still need some cheering up so care packages, text messages, Skype calls, and such are greatly appreciated. 



2 comments:

  1. I will send you some Reese to cheer you up ;) Hope you're doing well in Korea! -Rinna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahaah that would be super awesome Rinna! xD

      Delete