Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Made it to #70!


       I don't want to talk about sad things, so I don't even want to get started on the fact that summer is long over and winter is fast approaching. My first winter in Seoul ... no bueno. A good thing worth mentioning is that I made it to #70 on The List! Wow! Two years later. I probably should have more by now, but I haven't been a dedicated blogger. But that's ok, I'm happy with what I have now and can only hope it will keep getting longer. I remember I made a similar list when I was in Paris ...I think I only got to number 15 haha.

     Things in Korea are good. A bit quiet. It's almost midterm week at my university, and I'm barely getting used to being back to work. This summer two-month vacation seriously messed me up. I mean, I used to do this back when I was a student, but it was different. It's work now. I can't slack off. I can't procrastinate ...as much. I'm of course loving work don't get me wrong. I just have to be an adult ...

Anyways, as promised, here are a few more items which take my list all the way to #70! Enjoy!

66. Couple rings. I've talked about matching couple culture in Korea before, but here is something new: couple rings. I actually learned about these back in San Diego when I had two Korean friends who were a couple, boyfriend-girlfriend not married, but they wore matching rings on their left ring fingers. I asked them what it meant exactly, and they told me it was just a symbol that they were a couple. This was a little hard to understand to be honest because to me they were engagement rings. He put a ring on it, so they were engaged, end of story haha. But no, not really. First of all, when Koreans get engaged, the man does not actually put a ring on it ...hello guys! Where be the diamonds?
     What actually happens is that after a couple has been dating for 100 days, the guy (I think?) buys his-hers matching rings. The couple then just wears the rings to symbolize their relationship. I guess it could be similar to a promise ring but toned down.
     Couple rings aren't as glamourous as engagement rings. The ones I have seen are very simple, they are more like wedding bands. Sometimes they'll have some engravings, but nothing flashy. Cute, right?
   

67. Food brought at different times. This really bugs me sometimes especially if everybody sitting at the table gets their food first and I'm still waiting for mine. But then again, I don't mind when I get it first and everybody else has to wait, suckas!
       In the US when we go to a restaurant, the food is usually ALL brought at the same time. If that doesn't happen, people get angry, complain, and might get a free dessert out of it ...I know I do! But here in Korea, it's perfectly ok to get people's food at different times. I think I've waited up to like 10 minutes after the first plate was brought to the table. The only reasonable thing I can think of why this happens is because they don't want to leave food on the hot plate while the other food (which probably takes longer to cook) is being prepared.

68. Parents setting up their kids. Imagine you are single, how do you find dates? Don't worry my friend, your parents have your back and will find someone in no time! Seriously, your parents will find you dates ...or your pastor will, or your uncle/aunt, or a friend.
      Here it is all about networking, and if it's through parents, then so be it. In the US it's a little more common for friends to set you up with other friends, but here it's your parents who will find someone, or will at least try. People here go on blind dates all the time apparently. They are not always successful of course. Some of my students tell me horror stories about their blind dates and have pledged to never go on one ever again.
      It does make me curious about what kind of man my mom would set me up with ...ok, but not curious enough to have her actually do this.

69. Wedding cars. This isn't new to me, we have these in Mexico, but I was surprised to see this in Korea. Love it. So cheesy and tacky. My favorite thing is when it's a luxury car covered in tacky ribbons and flowers. LUV IT!
      I know in the US we sometimes decorate cars too for weddings, but they aren't even close to what I've seen in Korea.


70. Body scrubs. I finally did it! I was scrubbed from head to toe by an ajumma while I was completely naked and she was only wearing her undies. But let me tell you, best thing ever!
      Ana and I went to a jimjjilbang recently and decided to go all out and pay the extra 25,000won for a body scrub. So how does this go down? Well, like I've said before, when you go into these bath houses, there are absolutely no bathing suits, everybody is in their birthday suit, separated by sex of course. The ritual is to spend a couple hours in the baths, saunas, and then scrub your body. If you are feeling fancy, then you pay for someone else to scrub you down. The women who do this are very professional by the way.
      You lay on a massage table, again naked of course, and an ajumma gets to work. She will scrub every single corner of your body ...and yes, I do mean EVERY corner of your body, lady parts and all. They use a loofa that when you see it you think, "isn't this for washing dishes?" But trust me, they do wonders! The whole process took about 15 minutes, and boy oh boy, I could tell the exfoliation was a success because all this crap came out of my body ...ew! My skin is super soft now though, so um yes this is something I will be doing more often.


So that's it for now. I'll try to work harder so I can make it to #100!
Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment