Saturday, November 9, 2013

75. 봉숭아 (Bongsunga) nail dye

I noticed this last year with my little 4th grader girls, but I brushed it off as just messy finger paint. Then this year, I noticed it again on my university students (who are all girls). I noticed that many of them had their nails done in the same exact color, a light orange color. At first I thought it wasn't anything, but I started seeing it more and more; I knew it had to be something special.


I asked my student if I could take a picture of her nails ^^
I finally asked one of my students what was the deal with the orange color and she told me all about it. She first explained that around this season, a flower blooms which can be used as nail dye. The girls mash the petals and put the mush on their fingernails. They then wrap the fingernails using the leaves of the same plant and some plastic film to keep it in place overnight. The next morning they remove the film, leaves, and mush and voilà! Their nails are now a purty orange color. 

She also told me that nowadays, if you don't want to go through the whole ordeal, there's a quicker way. Now, you can actually just buy the flower in form of a powder at your local cosmetic store. It's less messy, but apparently it lasts less than the real thing.


This is the flower they use, Garden Balsam ...although not sure which color it's supposed to be.
So why do girls do this? ...aside from being fun! My student told me that there's actually a nice little belief behind it. She said that when girls do it, they make a wish. Once the first snow falls, if they still have the dye on their nails, then their wish comes true! 

I should try it and make a wish too! ㅋㅋㅋ

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment