Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Fox


I'd forgotten how much energy it takes to teach kids. These past two weeks I taught the Seongbuk Elementary English Camp to get some extra cash for my trip. When I decided to do so, I knew it wouldn't be such a biggie since it wasn't too long ago that I was teaching children. But man, thank goodness it was only 2 weeks! It may not sound like much, but 4 hours, 5 days a week was exhausting. Every day after finishing up, I was in desperate need of a nap (something I used to do back in Pohang everyday after lunch in my office hehehe -those eskwinkles suck all the energy out of me).

However, teaching the little monsters again was fun: to once again play silly games, make faces at students, and just really play using English (things I can't do with college students ...as much).

Joy, my assistant, was amazing!

We made parfaits after our food lesson.



...the creativeness of a boy.
At the end of camp, we had to do a performance for the parents. Since I did a lesson on animals, guess what song I decided to have the kids perform?


Yup, THAT happened. They were a little shy in front of their parents; during practice time however, they sung their little hearts out ...damn, should've recorded that instead.

And now a couple items for The List.

82. Gift sets. Lunar New Year (aka Chinese New Year) is this Thursday, so markets are fully stocked with gift sets which people give as presents. Forget your fruitcakes and cheese and sausage baskets, here they have boxes of giant pears, Jeju oranges, spam (ew, I know), seaweed(kim), ginseng products, canned tuna, cooking oil, and much more! I actually got a nice hair products gift set when I was in Pohang from a student's mom, such a sweet lady! ..I think that might have been for Chuseok though.



Seaweed gift set

combination of grapeseed oil, pomegramate seed oil, and luncheon meat 


Box of spam anybody?

83. Ramen (aka cup noodles). Yes ramen gets a whooole spot in the list. Why? Because oh my god my eyes have been opened to a whole new world. Never did I think that ramen could actually turn into a decent-ish meal.

 I never thought of ramen as a meal, it was always a snack. I grew up adding lime juice and/or chilli powder to my ramen, Mexican style. I also always only had cup ramen, I HATED ramen in a bag, but now that's all I buy.

The first option I saw at a Korean fast food restaurant was cheese ramen, cheese? Say what? Believe it. To be honest, when I first saw it, I actually thought it looked gross, especially because I only saw the yellow processed stuff being used. So then I thought, being the cheese snob that I am, why not make my own with goooood legit cheese, and oh em gee, amazing stuff! I know cheese doesn't necessarily make it healthier, but who cares, it's cheese, CHEESE!

After making my cheesy ramen, I started experimenting with other stuff. I've made tuna-and-cheese ramen and egg-and-cheese ramen. I've heard of other people adding kimchi and green onions ... I will try that later. My favorite so far though, and the healthiest, is this:


So I add more vegetables (I've used combinations of mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach), a little more water than usual, one veggie bouillon, and Tajin (chilly powder), yum!!

By the way, I was totally surprised to find good tasting veggie ramen, woot woot!

Adios sopitas Maruchanes, encontre algo mejor (In Mexico, we call ramen "Sopas Maruchan" which is a brand name).

Here are other things about ramen:

-Markets do have entire isles with only ramen.
-Eat ramen with chopsticks for a challenge ...I am a pro now, I will never eat ramen with a fork, EVER!
-You can always enjoy ramen at any convenience store at any time.
-Hiking? Dont forget your ramen to eat at the summit.
-There's a kids snack ramen version which I kind of like.
-Japanese ramen is the shit.


Happy Lunar New Year !


Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment